Core words can be taught and reinforced through a variety of activities in day-to-day life.
Click here to see What are Core words?
Some important Core words to begin with:
- WANT - request an object - How to teach requesting?
- MORE - request more of an object or activity (recurrence) - How to teach requesting?
- NOT, DON'T - stopping an ongoing activity, negation, protest - How to teach negation?
- FINISHED / DONE / ALL DONE (adjective) - completion of activity
- STOP / GO - cessation or start of action or activity - instruction, request
- LIKE (verb) - expression of preference - How to teach commenting?
- ON / IN / UNDER (prepositions) - location - How to teach prepositions?
- WHAT / WHERE (questions) - How to teach "What", How to teach "Where"?
- I / YOU (pronouns)
- OPEN /CLOSE (simple verbs)
IMPORTANT CORE WORDS to teach:
Start using the core words whenever you can. While you talk, point to symbols that match the words you are saying. Not every word will be available, just point to the words that are core. This is a list of Universal Core vocabulary from Project Core: This provides a list of core words that can be the first set of Core words that you can teach the child using Avaz:
LIST of 36 CORE WORDS
Moving to 2 Word phrases: Some examples:
finished + food
juice + good
like + painting
More + chips
Turn + page
Want + water
Moving to 3 Word sentences: Some examples:
I + finished + food
You + like + painting
Want + more + chips
I + turn + page
You + want + water
FAQ: What are core words?
FAQ: Core word posters (how to use core words in activities of daily life)