Avaz supports switch scanning via iOS Settings for iOS version 7 and above.
Tap here to know What are switches and how can they help to access Avaz app?
Tap here to know about Examples of different types of switches available in the market
For Android devices
Click here to know How to set up Switch access for Android devices
In iOS 9, there is a new feature for Single Switch Step scanning. With this mode, the user moves from item to item on the screen by activating their switch. When the user reaches a desired item on the screen, they stop activating their switch for a predetermined dwell time and then the item is automatically selected.
Scanning modes now include three options:
› Auto Scanning
› Manual Scanning
› Single Switch Step Scanning
To access the scanning modes, go to Settings App > General > Accessibility > Switch Control > Scanning Style.
First set up the Scan mode using iOS settings and then open Avaz.
Steps to set up Switch control using iPad settings: (Single Switch access)
Step 1: Set up your Accessibility shortcut
- The Accessibility Shortcut gives you the ability to easily turn Switch Control on or off by triple clicking the Home Button on
- your iPad.
- Go to Settings App > General > Accessibility > Accessibility Shortcut
- Select Switch Control
Step 2 : Connect the switch
- Connect the Bluetooth or wired switch to your iPad
Step 3: Configure the switch
- Go to Settings > General > Accessibility > Switch Control > Switches
- Select Add New Switch
- Select External
- Activate your switch by pressing it. If you see any error messages, refer to the Switch manufacturer manual for details to resolve it.
- When the switch is recognized, you are prompted to enter a name for the switch. It is recommended to name your switch in a way that makes it easy to identify them (e.g. B2 Mode 1 White Switch, Hook S1, etc).
- Tap Save when you are finished.
- After you save, you will need to assign a function for the switch, from a range of options. Tap Select Item to choose an action for your switch (Select Item being the most commonly used one),
- Then tap Switch Control to return to the main Switch Control main menu.
- Turn Auto Scanning ON.
- Turn the Switch Control button to ON.
- Go back to the Home screen by tapping the Home button of the iPad.
- Your switch is now configured and the auto scan is in progress. If you want, you can add a second action to this switch by selecting Long Press. If you add a Long Press action, the user will activate the switch for a predetermined amount of seconds to access the second action.
Step 4 : Configure Switch Control Settings
- Tap iPad Settings
- Go to Accessibility > Accessibility shortcut > Set to Switch Control
- Scanning Style: Select Single Switch Step scanning
- Dwell Time: This is how long the user will have to wait for the item to automatically be selected on the screen of the iOS device. Set the number of seconds appropriate for the user.
- Set up the following settings for further refining the access: these are optional settings.:
- Dwell time
- Auto hide
- Move Repeat
- Long Press
- Tap behavior
- Hold duration
- Ignore repeat
Step 5 : Turn Switch Control ON
- Triple click the "home" button to start scanning OR
- Go to Settings App > General > Accessibility > Switch Control and turn Switch Control ON to activate the scanning.
- Next, open Avaz and use the switches to activate and select in Avaz.
View a brief video on how to set up switch scanning on the iPad.
Steps to set up switch scanning (With two switches)
The two switches will serve two different purposes: One switch is to move or advances the scan / highlight on the screen (Stepper switch) and the 2nd switch is to select the highlighted item (Picker switch). The steps to set up dual switch control is similar to the ones given above:
- Tap iPad's Settings > General > Accessibility > Switches > Add New Switch > External
- Press your first switch that is connected to your switch interface. When prompted, enter a name for it with the onscreen keyboard. Tap Save when you are finished.
- Under the Scanner section, tap Move to Next item to choose an action for your first switch ("Stepper" switch).
- Under the Switches section, tap Add New Switch.
- Under the Source section, tap External.
- Press your second switch that is connected to your switch interface. When prompted, enter a name for it with the onscreen keyboard. Tap Save when you are finished.
- Under the Scanner section, tap Select Item to choose an action for your second switch ("Picker" switch), and then tap Switch Control to return to the main Switch Control menu.
- Make sure the Auto Scanning switch is "white".
- Enable Switch control to ON, OR Triple click the Home button three times to start scanning.
For more detailed instructions on setting up Switch control, refer to AbleNet's comprehensive guide iOS Accessibility - Switch Control - the missing User Guide
Click here to view instructions from Apple Support for How to use Switch Control to navigate
This guides you to do the following:
- Add a new switch
- Turn Switch Control On or Off
- Use Switch Control
- Change your Settings